Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Lesser of Two Evils

Which is worse, acceptance of circumstances you deplore or harboring deepening resentment toward the person responsible for the aforementioned circumstances? Can the first one exist without directly causing the second?

Acceptance seems like you're selling yourself out, or is it just a necessary compromise to help preserve the greater good? I'm sure there's a line drawn somewhere which differentiates the two but I've no idea where that line is. I sure wish I did though.<

I think resentment has it's own inevitable conclusion especially when it's been accumulating over a fairly long time. That conclusion is usually an ugly one. Sooner or later, out it comes!

I can't decide if acceptance is preferable to resentment, or not. While I know that harboring feelings of resentment will sooner or later come back to bite me in the ass I just can't bring myself to let go and pretend nothing's happened while happily accepting the way things are. Maybe that's a shortcoming of my own which I need to work on.

1 comment:

  1. Not a solution, but if you want to hear thee best ¨lesser of two evils¨ joke, rent the movie "Master & Commander". Has excellent music too (IF you like sailing the oceans).

    Takes your mind away from accepting resentments: or, accept with serenity the
    things that cannot be changed, have the courage to change the things which should be changed, and have the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. (No, I am not AA)

    My favorite:
    For every ailment under the sun
    There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it;
    If there be none, never mind it.

    ReplyDelete

});