Thursday, June 14, 2012

Not So Typical Amish Sightings

While on my way home from work this evening I decided that I was going to stop off at the local Chili's to have a beer or two. So I'm sitting there at the bar enjoying a frosty cold Blue Moon draft and chatting with the bar staff when a young Amish guy walks up to the bar and takes a seat. He was wearing the typical Amish attire, black pants complete with suspenders and a light to pastel colored shirt, so he was definitely the subject of a lot of curious looks from the rest of the restaurant patrons. You just don't see Amish sitting at a bar even if they order only strawberry lemonade and some food, as this young man did. Just when the stares and whispering had started to die down a little he pulls a cell phone out of his pocket and starts texting, lol.

When I left Chili's I headed over to Home Depot. As I was leaving there I had to wait for an older Amish man who was pushing one of the Home Depot flat carts down the aisle in the parking lot. He was headed to the far end of the lot where there is a large shed-like structure, the Amish equivalent of a parking garage where they can tie their horses in and keep them in the shade. As I drove past him I glanced at his cart and noticed that the object being pushed to a buggy by this older Amish farmer dressed in regular Amish attire including the straw hat, not to mention the long beard, was a top of the line propane powered gas grille.

The times they are a-changin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

});